Ruth Ayres invites us to share our celebrations from the week each Saturday. Thank you, Ruth, for reminding me to celebrate. Share yours at Ruth Ayres Writes.
1. I took some time today for myself and got lost in a great book. It was the perfect way to start my day.
2. After having a horrible nightmare about my grandma dying, I called her first thing and invited her to lunch. Her reaction to my call and her telling me it was the best invite she’s had in a long time made my day. She told me, “You are like a breath of sunshine for me.”
There were brief moments when she seemed not so forgetful. I couldn’t help but laugh when she told me she only weighs 89 pounds and then got in her, “How much do you weigh?” question she has asked me for years. She is obsessed with my weight. To most people I’m extremely thin, but my grandma has always commented otherwise. She added in today, “Thank God you are not thin like me.”
It was nice to feel like she was her old self for a few moments, even if it was at my expense.
3. I have one more week until spring break! I think I can, I think I can. It feels like I’m going to make it.
4. There’s a wonderful buzz of people in my neighborhood for the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day festivities. It reminds me that spring and summer are almost here.
5. Several days this week I’ve enjoyed driving with my windows down and blaring a favorite CD and singing along. This makes me so happy.
6. I finally felt like my students were/are becoming readers this week. I made some changes to my class and stuck to my guns about what I know is best, and I feel like it’s paying off. The kids are reading and talking about books, and my heart is happy. I hope it continues.